Achilles tendon rupture

May 2, 2012

It was April 18th, after a fairly long day of commuting to work on my bicycle for the first time in several months, I was playing basketball. Close to the end of the run, I joined one last game, I had felt a bit dehydrated several times by that point, but didn’t think that one more run would make a big difference. Boy, I was wrong, as I was running up the court half way through that game, I felt a sudden sensation of someone kicking me or something striking me hard in my right Achilles tendon. I took a look back, but no one was there. That was it…the tendon had ruptured.

I was still holding onto false hope on the ride to the emergency room at Hiroo hospital, but the prognosis was clear and brutal, a total tear of my right Achilles tendon. The lower half of the right leg was immobilized in a cast with the foot extended downward so that the two ends of the tendon would be close to each other. The two options laid out were to allow for the tendon to heal naturally or to get the two ends reattached surgically. This was the emergency room though, so the doctor who was an orthopedic surgeon recommended another appointment at the hospital.

The next day it was back to Hiroo hospital, a different orthopedic surgeon went over the two options again with the recommendation of going with surgery to ensure that the ends of the tendon were attached. Surgery was scheduled for April 25th, so we made our reservation and waited another week.

I was admitted to the hospital on April 24th, that day was spent doing a few unpleasant things to get prepared for the surgery. That included taking half the cast off and bandaging up the leg instead. The surgeon confirmed a complete tear of the tendon, so that was that. Both the surgeon and the anesthesiologist gave talks on what they were going to do and then handed over waivers for signing.

Surgery day was spend waiting for the operating room to open up. A couple hours before the surgery an IV drip was inserted into my left arm, since I was off of fluids for a few hours now, the IV was to prevent dehydration.

Surgery time came, I was pushed down to the room in a wheelchair and moved to a bed. Then it was into the room, where anesthetics were delivered via lumbar puncture. The only really painful part of the surgery was the initial puncture and that didn’t hurt at all. After the anesthetics kicked in, it was a weird sensation because there was no feeling in the lower part of my body. I missed the rest of the procedures as I was sleeping, but when I woke up in the operating room, a cast was already placed on the right leg again. Then it was being wheeled upstairs again.

As the anesthetics wore off, my back was starting to hurt an incredible amount, but that went away after I readjusted the angle fo the bed. The pain from the surgery (not the tendon but the incision that was made) was pretty unpleasant, so the nurse gave me anesthetics that helped me sleep via the IV twice during the night. As I really wanted to be discharged as soon as possible, I was discharged from the hospital the day following the surgery…though the right leg was still aching pretty hard.

Most of the pain was gone the next day though, and things were pretty uneventful even when I went back to the hospital the following week (May 2nd) to get the cast replaced. May 10th will be the next visit to the hospital, the cast is coming off and will be replaced with a brace.

Discussion, links, and tweets

Good Morning!